Raiser City (historical)

From Black Rock Desert Nevada wiki
Revision as of 11:17, 25 July 2018 by Cxbrx (talk | contribs) (1902 article)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Raiser City is a former populated place located northwest of Division Mountain and west of McCarty Spring.

Presumably, Raiser City was named by James Raser.

15 miners were working there in August, 1902.[1]

See Also

Resources

  • GNIS
    • Class: "Populated Place (Definitions)"
    • History: "name changed to Raiser City by James Raiser (miner) Aug 1902"
    • Description: "located in the Donnelly Mining District"
    • Citation: "Carlson, Helen S., 'Nevada Place Names, A Geographical Dictionary,' Reno, Nevada: University of Nevada Press, 1974, 282 pp. Reference work giving historical background on place names in Nevada. p126"
    • Variant: Donneley Mountain. Citation: "'Nevada': National Map Company, Indianapolis, Indiana, no date (map states it uses data from the 1920 census, and the acquisition data by the Nevada Historical Society was 1923). Full color map showing railroads, mountains, roads, communities, and springs, at scale of 1 inch=11 miles."
    • Variant: Granite Creek. Citation: Carlson, Helen S., 'Nevada Place Names, A Geographical Dictionary,' Reno, Nevada: University of Nevada Press, 1974, 282 pp. Reference work giving historical background on place names in Nevada. p126"
      • Carlson states Granite Creek was "a former gold mining district, located in May 1902 by James Raiser [sic] and James D. Murray of Granite Creek. In August, 1902, the name was changed to Donnelly and the town or Raiser City was laid out."[2]

References

  1. "Abundance of Gold," Nevada State Journal, August 28, 1902.
  2. Helen S. Carlson, "Nevada Place Names: A Geographical Dictionary," p. 126 (1974). The district was named the Granite Creek in May, 1902 and the name changed to Donnelly in August, 1902.