Below is a list of motion pictures and videos made in the area.
- 1 The Winning of Barbara Worth (1926)
- 2 Hardcore (1969)
- 3 National Geographic Specials: The Haunted West (1973)
- 4 Far From Home (1989)
- 5 Movies and Videos about Burning Man
- 6 Motion Pictures not actually Filmed in the Black Rock Desert Area
- 7 Links
- 8 See Also
The Winning of Barbara Worth (1926)
- Hollywood Comes To The Black Rock: The Story of the Making of The Winning of Barbara Worth by Phillip I. Earl, 1988.
- Frank Kester, "Folder 10, Biography 1925, Black Rock Desert," Guide to the Frank Kester Papers, ca. 1912-1981, California Historical Society, North Baker Library San Francisco, California 94105-4014. Kester was a reporter for the Oakland Tribune, perhaps he was reporting about Barbara Worth?
- Snapshots from the movie set for The Winning of Barbara Worth, 1926 (archive)
- Derrel S. Fulwider, "From Resource Management to People Management: Reflections of a Federal Land Manager," Winter-Spring 1986, The Humboldt Historian. A map places the location south of the playa road to Sulphur.
- Eleanor M. Dobson, "Bull Frogs In The Black Rock Desert Make A Thriving Nevada Business," Nevada State Journal, October 10, 1943. John Garrett is quoted that he helped with the flood scene for the Winning of Barbara Worth and mentions the runaway horse.
- Museum of Modern Art
- UC Berkeley's Pacific Film Archive has a copy
- Pacific Film Archive Dilexi Series Handout
- "HARDCORE, broadcast: 7/30/69 by Walter De Maria This durational work splices slow pans of a dry lake bed together to heighten landscape imagery, shifting light and the use of horizon . The sensual treatment is bracketed by a western motif that culminates in a six-gun shoot-out. Finally, a fixed shot of a young asian girl grounds the theme of the film, suggesting that the conquering of the West has been extended to other shores. Photographed by Blair Stapp. Music composed by De Maria. 27:56 Color 16mm""
National Geographic Specials: The Haunted West (1973)
Far From Home (1989)
Movies and Videos about Burning Man
Motion Pictures not actually Filmed in the Black Rock Desert Area
Below are motion pictures that are sometimes said to be filmed in the Black Rock Desert Area or were filmed nearby.
The Iron Horse (1924)
- IMDB. Filmed at Dodge Flat, Wadsworth.
Destination Gobi (1953)
- IMDB. Filmed at Fallon and Nixon.
- A.J. Liebling, "The Mustang Hunters," The New Yorker, April 3, 1954 and April 10, 1954. Description of Bill Garaventa seeing a camel from the air during the filming.
Not filmed on the Black Rock Desert, but actually filmed near Lone Pine, CA.
The Misfits (1961)
Not filmed on the Black Rock Desert, but actually filmed near Dayton, NV and Pyramid Lake.
Diamonds Are Forever (1971)
IMDB states that the James Bond film Diamonds Are Forever was filmed at the Black Rock Desert However, there is no other evidence of this?
The Jim and Jennifer Stolpa Story (1994)