Fly Ranch

From Black Rock Desert Nevada wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fly Ranch is located off Highway 34, north of Gerlach. Fly Geyser is located on the ranch.

Fly Geyser has attracted a substantial amount of interest since it developed from a leaking geothermal well into a striking colorful spouting statue, sitting on a dais of mud amidst ponds of warm water and thriving plants. The property is generally off limits to visitors because of liability and vandalism concerns.

The 1881 Gibbs map of California and Nevada indicates a ranch named "Wards" is in the vicinity. Fly Geyser is referred to as Ward's Hot Springs in an 1886 geology report. Presumably, Wards refers to the Ward brothers, who sold to Louis Gerlach who formed the Gerlach Land and Livestock Company.

The Fly Ranch was first homesteaded in the late 1800s by Fred Gerlach, son of Louis Gerlach, for whom the town of Gerlach was named. Later it was a part of the John Casey estate

At some point, John Casey offered to sell Fly Geyser to the BLM for $1.5 million[1].

After Casey's death, the ranch was sold to Todd Jaksick (Bright Holland Corporation) in 1998.

In 2001, the BLM was interested in purchasing Fly Ranch from Todd Jaksick[1].

References

  1. 1.0 1.1 Jeff DeLong, "Wonder Caused by Humans, Enhanced by Nature," Reno Gazette Journal, November 19, 2001