As a Friends of Black Rock volunteer you are an integral part of the future of Black Rock Desert and High Rock Canyon. The Friends of Black Rock – High Rock works in this beautiful landscape to preserve its natural and historic assets.
Conservation projects are a great way to explore, connect with new and old friends, and give back in a safe zone with our stewardship team. These projects are the perfect excuse to head out into some of Nevada’s most spectacular backcountry and discover remote wilderness you might not otherwise see. Our events in Reno are a great way to meet new people and to get to know Friends better, too.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
Fly Ranch Volunteers
When: On going
Where: Fly Ranch and FBRHR Visitor Center Store
- Help guide people through Fly Ranch!
- Have opportunities to become Leave No Trace Trainers and Wilderness First Aid Certified!
April 20, 11AM-5PM
Tahoe Truckee Earth Day
When: April 20, 11AM-5PM
Where: The Village at Squaw Valley
- Spread the word about Friends and the Black Rock!
- Engage visitors with our interactive table games!
April 28, 10AM-2PM
Guru Road Restoration
When: April 28, 10AM-2PM
Where: Guru Road/Dooby Lane
- Help paint rocks, pick trash, or do upkeep!
- Fun for the whole family!
Highway 447 Clean Up
When: May 5
Black Rock Rendezvous
Where: Playa! Coordinates coming closer to date.
When: May 24-27
May 31-June 2
National Trails Day
Where: Gerlach/Black Rock Desert
When: May 31-June 2
Trego Hot Springs Father’s Day Clean-Up
Where: Black Rock Desert
When: June 14th – June 16th
Nevada Outdoor Experience 2019
Where: Capital City Gun Club in Carson City, 3590 Arrowhead Drive.
When: Sat. 9am – 1pm
Join Friends of Black Rock – High Rock at this free family event designed to excite and inspire the next generation of outdoor enthusiasts and conservationists. Organized by the Wild Sheep Foundation and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, multiple organizations from around the area will have their experts present to offer hands-on learning experiences for children and their families. Free youth raffles take place throughout the day.
Check out the YouTube video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXurU-AoWEU
- Stations include: archery, metal detecting, gold panning, BB gun range, rock climbing, fly tying, crafts, conservation, wildlife identification, rocks and minerals, laser shot, duck calling, and so much more.
- Free youth raffles donated by Sportsman’s Warehouse.
- There is something for every member of the family at this fantastic outdoor youth expo.
- FBR-HR will be on-hand doing Leave No Trace and Outdoor Ethics Outreach.
- We will have a tent and, as usual, will have all the info you need or want to know about the Black Rock Desert – High Rock Canyon area.
Sign ups coming soon. Contact us at volunteer@blackrockdesert.
4th of July with Friends 2019
Where: Playa Campsite, Coordinates TBD
When: July 5th-July 7th (We will be setting up camp Friday, July 5th, around lunchtime.)
Come hang out with Friends on the Black Rock Desert playa 4th of July Weekend for a beautiful, informative, and all-around good time this Independence Day. This is a Leave No Trace camp out event.
- We will be bringing two porta-potties, and we will have shade set up. So feel free to stop by and say hello.)
- Activities will include tours of the area, camp games, great food, and moon and star gazing. We will be leading a guided hike up Steamboat Rock from 9am-12pm on Saturday.
- We will also be doing outdoor ethics outreach.
- This is a camp out event. Come find us if you have any questions about the area.
- Happy Hour with hors d’oeuvres and lawn games on Saturday from 5-7pm.
Black Rock Point Campout
Where: Black Rock Point Campsite. GPS Coordinates TBD.
When: July 27-28
Wilderness First Aid
When: August 3-4
August 3-4 is a really busy weekend! We’re hosting our annual Wilderness First Aid Course, which is always interesting, fun and informative. If you’re not on the class this year, we need your help in the shop and at Fly Ranch. All 3 opportunities are a great way to get involved with Friends, meet people, and share the Black Rock love. WFA Course and Shop sign ups at the link below. Fly Ranch positions are at the nature walk sign-up page or email us for information on joining the Fly Team.
Perseids Meteor Shower Campout 2019
Where: Coordinates TBD
When: Aug. 9th – 11th
Come join us in the Black Rock Desert to watch the stars! Enjoy a weekend of fun, good food, and good people while enjoying the Perseid Meteor Shower under dark skies.
- FBR-led day tour to Double Hot and Black Rock Hot Springs with an optional self-guided hike up to Black Rock Point.
- This is a weekend camp out event.
- Please bring camping gear, food, and all other items and materials you may need.
- Non-Members are more than welcome to come out for this event, but we will be having a Members’ BBQ Saturday evening.
- We will be accepting Memberships on-site for those wanting to join.
August 26 – Sept 3
Burning Man Outreach
Where: Black Rock City
When: Aug 26th – Sept 3rd
- Help out on playa or in the Last Chance Outpost
- Leave No Trace outreach and education to be conducted in partnership with Earth Guardians and the BLM.
- Exact events TBD.
- Must have ticket to the event to participate. (No ticket needed to help out in the shop)
- Week long camp out event.
- Complimentary meal ticket for commissary.
Sign ups coming soon. Contact us at volunteer@blackrockdesert.
End of Season Trego Clean Up
Where: Trego Hot Springs and Campsite
When: September 14-15
Sept 27 – 29
National Public Lands Day
Where: Soldier Meadows Cabin & Hot Springs
When: Sept 27th – 29th
Join us as we partner with Friends of Nevada Wilderness, Nevada Outdoor School, and the BLM – Nevada for a fun weekend of camping and volunteering at Soldier Meadows Cabin, Sept. 27th – 29th.
- We will be working specifically in the Desert Dace habitat in the hot springs, so please bring waders or wellies if you have them.
- This is a continuation of an on-going multi-year project to remove overgrowth that causes flooding and allows the Green Sunfish to threaten and attack the endemic Desert Dace.
- Other projects include trash clean-up around Soldier Meadows Cabin and any repairs inside, as necessary.
- We will meet at the Friends Office, 320 Main St. Gerlach and caravan out to Soldier Meadows Cabin for anyone wanting to follow.
Citizen Science Projects
When: On going at any time
Where: Various locations throughout the region
- Become a citizen scientist!
- Stop by the office for information on collecting data with EddMaps West (invasive weeds), Stories in the Snow (snow crystal photography), iNaturalist (plant & animal surveys) and other programs you can use during your trip.
- Your data goes to the Nevada Department of Agriculture, DRI, and other local scientists and researchers. Be part of a project!
Note: Group training sessions available at our large group camp outs.