White Caps Mine

From Black Rock Desert Nevada wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

The White Caps Tungsten Mine is "located at the southeast corner of Winnemucca Lake" at S21 T24N R24E. at 4600 ft on a small peak of the Truckee Range<ref>John W. Gourley, "The Whitecap Tungsten Mine," 1962.</ref>. The mine is named for the quartz "blowout" located above the mine, which is visible for miles. The mine is also named the "White Blowout Mine".<ref name="bateman">Paul C. Bateman, "White Blowout Tungsten Prospect," 1944.</ref>

The mine was in operation in the 1950s, when between 1 and 10 tons of 60% WO3 concentrates were shipped.

In 1944, the mine was owned by H.S. Turner, Carl Stoddard and Fred Crosby. Previously it was owned by the Southern Pacific Company.<ref name="bateman"/>

In 1962, the mine was owned by Fred Crosby of Sutcliffe.

In 2014, APN 079-320-15 is owned by Eugene Gabrych, a large land owner.

References

<references/>

External Resources

  • Mindat "White Caps"
  • GNIS "White Caps Mine"
    • Citation: "Bonham, Harold F. and Papke, Keith G. 'Geology and Mineral Deposits of Washoe and Storey Counties, Nevada' Reno: Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology Bulletin 70, 1969, 140pp. Describes the mining districts, mines, mills, and resources of the mentioned counties. PL2"
    • Variant Name: Crosby Mine: Citation: "Bonham, Harold F. and Papke, Keith G. 'Geology and Mineral Deposits of Washoe and Storey Counties, Nevada' Reno: Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology Bulletin 70, 1969, 140pp. Describes the mining districts, mines, mills, and resources of the mentioned counties. PL2"
  • 39.941466, -119.285697
  • References from Gourley: