From Black Rock Desert Nevada wiki
(Redirected from Squaw Valley)Jump to navigationJump to search
- Note: U.S. Department of the Interior Secretarial Order 3404 dated November 19, 2021 has declared "Squaw" a derogatory term and is implementing procedures to change the name. Details are at U.S. Board on Geographic Names. See also the monthly minutes and review lists and Renaming offensive placenames.
It was worked on and possibly built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).
- Squaw Valley Reservoir (Wikipedia)
- The first map to show Squaw Valley is Granite Range 1:250,000 (1894, Rp. 1894)] (UNR)
- The last map to show Squaw Valley Reservoir is Gerlach 1:100,000 (1981, Rp. 1981)
- Renee Corona Kolvet, Victoria Ford, "The Civilian Conservation Corps in Nevada: From Boys to Men," Description of a CCC camp in Gerlach by Claude Chadwell. "Fisk Reservoir [Squaw Creek Reservoir] is still there"
- Fisk Reservoir was probably associated with Clyde Fisk, who had a ranch in Squaw Valley.
- Geophysical Investigations of the Smoke Creek Desert and their Geologic Implications, Northwest Nevada and Northeast California