See also The Friends of Black Rock's current conditions page.
When Satellites will be visible above the Black Rock Desert, Nevada
MODIS is a satellite that images the Black Rock Desert Region.
Clips from MODIS realtime strips
How to see how wet the Playa has been
This is based in part on Laura's page Black Rock Desert - MODIS Images - How wet was the Black Rock Desert this year? from 2011.
The basic idea is that we look for terra 7-2-1 MODIS data and display it
- Go to https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/
- Pan and zoom until you have a nice view of the Black Rock Desert
- Click on the red "+ Add Layers" button
- In the search window, type "terra 7-2-1" and click on the red box at the right of "Corrected Reflectance (Bands 7-2-1)" to select it.
- Close the search window by clicking on the X.
- Now you can change the time scale to make a movie or a gif.