Red Butte Mining District
From Black Rock Desert Nevada wikiJump to navigationJump to search
Lincoln (1923) states that the district was discovered by A. D. Ramel in 1907, antimony was found in 1909? though antimony ore shipped in 1905 and copper ore in 1916.
In 1909, copper was discovered at Red Butte .
- Green Elephant Mine
- Krug Mine
- Red Ball Mines
- Red Butte Mine
- Stroud Mine
- Joseph V. Tingley, "Mining Districts of Nevada," Report 47, Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology, 1998, 2nd Edition. (Dead link, see Archive.org). See [http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/dox/r47/plate.pdf map for details.
- Frederick Leslie Ransome, "Notes on Some Mining Districts in Humboldt County, Nevada," USGS Bulletin 414, 1919.
- Francis Church Lincoln, "Mining Districts and Mineral Resources of Nevada," Verdi, Nev.: Nevada Newsletter Publishing Co., p. 102, 1923.
- Ronald Willden, "General Geology of the Jackson Mountains Humboldt County, Nevada," Geological Survey Bulletin 1141-D, U.S. Dept. of the Interior, 1963
- Helen S. Carlson, "Nevada Place Names," p. 56. Origin of Bonita Springs.
- Michael M. Hamilton, "Mineral Resources of the South Jackson Mountains Wilderness Study Area, Humboldt County, Nevada," 1987. Description of the Claudia Mine.
- H.F. Bonham, Jr., L.J. Garside, R.B. Jones, K.G. Papke, J.Quade, and J.V. Tingle, OF1985-03: A mineral inventory of the Paradise-Denio -- and Sonoma-Gerlach Resource Areas, Winnemucca District, Nevada," p 133, 1985.
- Craven Copper Co.
- Walter Harvey Weed, "The Mines Handbook: An Enlargement of the Copper Hand Book," p. 1034, 1920. "Craven Copper Co. P. H. Craven pres. Property near Winnemucca, Humboldt County, slightly developed, said to carry high-grade copper ore. Idle during the war but operations to be resumed."
- Nevada State Journal, "Develops Ore in Red Butte Mines," November 11, 1941. Article about Augustus D. Ramel, age 79, developing Claudia Group. Ramel is said to have discovered the Red Butte District in 1907. He owned the area that was formerly the Craven Copper Co.
Photos at the Humboldt Historical Society
- Craven Copper Co 1918. Mining District Red Butt Mining District on West Slope of the Jackson Range Fifteen miles north of sulphur
- Headrame shaft house Craven COpper Co 1912
- Mining District, Red Butte, #3 (Postcard on back)
- Craven Copper Co Mine at Copper Queen Mine in Red Butte, NV, 1920
- Silver Lead Palmers about 1924 Jackson Mt East of Cravens and Red Butte Probably Matt Hovich
- Rattlesnake Red Butte District Keystone Drilling Outfit 1912 (Postcard) Mining District Red Butte #13
- Headframe and Engine Houe Copper Queen Min Red Butte Dist.