Pulpit Rock is located east of Sulphur.
The 1914-1915 WPRR Descriptive Time Table for west-bound traffic states: "Beyond mile-post 477 and at the left of the track stands the monolith outcrop of the Irish sphinx, presenting the perfect profile of an Irish gentleman in stock and cravat. A brilliant patch of mineral paint is disclosed, against the hills to the right, adjacent to prospect holes and dumps. Copper, silver and gold are being mined." The Irish sphinx is probably Pulpit Rock, though left and right might be swapped. Sulphur is at mile post 474.52 and Floka is at mile post 479.38.
- Dave N. Schmitt, "An archaeological evaluation of South Pulpit Shelter (26Hu2472), eastern Black Rock Desert, Humboldt County, Nevada," BLM, 1988.
- "Preliminary Environmental Assessment, Hycroft Mine Facilities Expansion Project," BLM, DOI-BLM-NV-W030-2013-0003-EA, July 2014.