High Rock Canyon
High Rock Canyon, Nevada
"It was a singular place to travel through- shut up in the earth, a sort of chasm, the little strip of grass under our feet, the rough walls of bare rock on either hand, and the narrow strip of sky above." -- John C. Fremont, description of High Rock Canyon, 1843
One of the rocks has "George N Jaquith July the 16th 1852 From Wis." written on it. Jaquith lived in California and Oregon, where he was killed near Steens Mountains in southeastern Oregon.
Another rock has "Nilsson" written in axel grease. In 1960, Alvin McLane noted both the Jaquith and Nilsson inscriptions.
High Rock Canyon
- High Rock Side Canyons (Friends of Black Rock High Rock) High Rock Canyon is one of nature’s masterpieces. It is a narrow defile cut 800 feet deep through layers of dark lava and multi-colored volcanic ash. The canyon can be traversed by high-clearance four-wheel-drive vehicles except between February 1st and the second week in May when the road is closed to protect wildlife during nesting and lambing times. Hiking is allowed year round. Vehicle camping is restricted to primitive, designated sites only. This is the best place in Black Rock-High Rock Country to view bighorn sheep and raptors. ...
High Rock Canyon Wilderness
- (Nevada Wilderness) Friends of Nevada Wilderness The High Rock Canyon Wilderness is painted with layers of white, gray, orange and brown bedding. The bright green of the canyon floors and pockets on the walls contrast with the grey green of sagebrush. A 360 panorama of valleys, terraces and mountain ranges open up vistas 60 miles in all directions. The Wilderness Area's northeast border hits the abrupt edge of High Rock Canyon. Antelope and birds of prey are common here.
East Fork High Rock Canyon Wilderness
- http://www.nevadawilderness.org/Library/area.asp?nMode=1&nLibraryID=54 www.nevadawilderness.org/Library/area.asp?nMode=1&nLibraryID=54 --
- Nevada Outdoor Recreation Assocation, "Huge BLM Wilderness Victory in the Black Rock Desert," (dead link as of 2013-02-27, see archive.org). Discussion about exploration in the 1950's and 1960's of the area by "Reno speliologist and karst expert Alvin R. McLane."
- Carl Nolte, "Later Chapters of Writers Lives," August 27, 1998, SF Gate. Information about George N. Jaquith.
- Gregory Michno, "The Deadliest Indian War in the West: The Snake Conflict, 1864-1868," p. 28. Discussion of the death of George N. Jaquith.
- BLM California, Surprise Field Office, Black Rock Desert High Rock Canyon Emigrant Trails National Conservation Area
- w2005 Nevada Desert Trail Dispatches, Segment AA: High Rock Canyon: The High Rock Canyon trip was the first of the final three Desert Trail Relay segments. ...
- High Rock Lake Wilderness (Wikipedia)
- photo by Robert Klaput Head of Little High Rock Canyon
- NV Hunt Book Cover 2000 "Stand off at High Rock Canyon"
- Driving Through High Rock Canyon, summer 2006
- Henry Lind, Cal State Chico. "The Henry Lind Album." Several photos of High Rock Canyon from 1941.