Gerlach Post Office
The old Post Office was at 390 Main St., which is currently the Burning Man office. Helen Thrasher was postmistress for many years. The old post office was also a general store.
The current Gerlach Post Office is at 345 E Sunset Blvd Gerlach, NV 89412, (775) 557-2333.
- GNIS. As of May, 2013, refers to the old post office location.
- Helen S. Carson, "Nevada Place Names: A Geographical Dictionary," p 119. "A Nevada post office, established October 27, 1909."
- Reno, Washoe Cty, Nevada 1920-21 City Directory Page 231 lists "Dalton, W E, postmaster, gen mdse"
- Photo of Taylor and Heard Store. The sign says "Gerlach Post Office." The photo is undated, but appears to be from the 1930's.
- The 1920 Census has a number of Taylors in Gerlach. The 1930 Census has Claud H. Heard and Della S. Heard residing in Gerlach. The 1940 census has John James Thrasher possibly arriving in Gerlach 1935.
- Peggy Trego, "The 40 Wilderness Miles North of Gerlach, Nevada," Desert Magazine, November, 1960. "the post office is in the same building as the store."
- By the time the movie Far From Home was filmed in 1988, the post office was no longer in that location.
- RJ Smith, "Speed Freaks," Spin Magazine, Jan. 1998, p 121. "in the back room of the old Gerlach post office, Breedlove..."