Gerlach Geothermal Development Project
The Gerlach Geothermal Development Project is a Geothermal project that started in 2020.
Some Gerlach residents are concerned about the effect the plants and wells would have on the viewshed, night skies and water supplies.
On October 1, 2020, the BLM accepted pre-scoping comments for 60 days.
In 2020, the proposed map showed well pads located on the west side of Highway 34, near Dooby Lane, located at 40° 40′ 43.1″ N, 119° 21′ 40.3″ W in section 3, just north of where 34 crosses the boundary between section 3 and section 10.
In the December 2021 map some of the proposed well pads moved across Highway 34, away from Dooby Lane.
In October 2022, The BLM released the Final Environmental Assessment: Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project.
A January 13, 2023 post by the Friends of Nevada Wilderness outlines why that organization is party to the lawsuit against the project.
On January 20, 2023, a thisisreno.com article covered Ormat's response to the lawsuit. On January 23, 2023, thisisreno.com published a letter by Jason Walters that rebutted some of Ormat's response.
In February, 2023, Friends of the Black Rock High Rock published details about why they are parties to the lawsuit against the project.
- "Burning Man Project, some Gerlach locals oppose future Ormat geothermal project," Jenny Kane (Reno Gazette Journal, January 10, 2022)
- "Check Out Our Comments on Ormat’s Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project" (burningman.org, January 7, 2022)
- Full comments from Burning Man (January 7, 2022)
- Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project (BLM National NEPA Register)
- Gerlach FEA DIP Letter 2022-10-21
- Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project Final Environmental Assessment, October 2022
- Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project for Resource Confirmation
- Operations Plan Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project, September 2022
- Gerlach Issued Lease Stipulations
- Finding of no Significant Impact: Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project for Resource Confirmation, October 2022
- Operations Plan, Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project (local copy)
- Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project, Environmental Assessment, Baseline Studies (local copy)
- Gerlach Geothermal Night Skies Baseline Report, March 2022
- Surface Water Monitoring Work Plan, Ormat Nevada Inc. Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project, Washoe County, Nevada.
- Hydrologic Evaluation, Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project, Washoe County
- Commenting Period Open for Ormat’s Gerlach Geothermal Exploration Project (burningman.org, December 23, 2021)
- Ormat Gerlach Proposal Letter BLM, October 1, 2020. ( local copy)
- Dark Skies, Tourism Threatened in Gerlach (Nevada Wilderness, October 30, 2020)
- Ormat concerned stakeholder discussion (Friends of Black Rock/High Rock)
- Final Prescoping Comments to BLM Regarding Gerlach Ormat Project (November 30, 2020)
- Gerlach, Nevada Geothermal Energy Zones
- Gerlach Geothermal LLC Geothermal Energy Zones
- Hilltop Energy Resources LLC Geothermal Energy Zones has a number of nearby leases, but not the leases listed by Ormat?
- Gerlach residents say the Black Rock's dark skies threatened by proposed geothermal plant," Amy Alonzo, Reno Gazette Journal, October 26, 2020.
- "Bureau of Land Management accepting pre-scoping comments for geothermal project near Gerlach," BLM Website.
- "Black Rock Field Office soliciting public comment on the Gerlach Geothermal Project,", BLM Website.
- "Burning Man sues BLM over geothermal project in Nevada," Jeniffer Solis, January 10, 2023, Nevada Current.
- "Man Project v. Bureau of Land Management of the U.S. Department of the Interior (3:23-cv-00013)," 01/09/23, Nevada District Court.
- "Burning Man touts sustainability. Now it’s suing to block clean energy," Dino Grandoni, January 13, 2023, Washington Post.
- "Friends joins suit against BLM for approving well drilling in Gerlach," Pam duPre, nevadawilderness.org, January 13, 2023.
- "Ormat pushes back against Burning Man after lawsuit against BLM," Bob Conrad, thisisreno.com, January 20, 2023.
- "Letter: Setting the record straight on Ormat, BLM," Jason Walters, thisisreno.com, January 23, 2023.
- "Friends of Black Rock Join Suit to Address Geothermal Drilling Proposals in Gerlach," blackrockdesert.org.
- "Gerlach geothermal exploration project on hold after Washoe County rescinds permit," Amy Alonzo, Reno Gazette Journal, April 11, 2023.
- "Washoe County puts Gerlach geothermal project on ice," Jeniffer Solis, Nevada Current, April 13, 2023.