Fort Sage

From Black Rock Desert Nevada wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Fort Sage was a garrison occupied in the early 1870's on the Reno - Fort Bidwell road, which alternately went through Sutcliffe and then the Smoke Creek Desert.

Fairfield (1916) mentions "Fort Sage mountain (State Line Peak)" a few times <ref>Asa Merrill Fairfield, "| Fairfield's Pioneer History of Lassen County, California," 1916.</ref>

Ruhlen (1964) states that Fort Sage was located "46 miles north of Reno"<ref name="Ruhlen">Col. George Ruhlen, "Early Nevada Forts," Nevada Historical Society Quarterly, p. 51, Vol. VII, No. 3-4, 1964.</ref> "between State Line Peak and the Virginia Mountains."<ref name="Ruhlen"/>

Pendelton (1983) states that rock foundations found 5 km. southwest of the Fort Sage Drift Fence at Miller Spring could be the ruins of Fort Sage.<ref name="Pendleton83"> Pendleton, Lorann S. A., Thomas, David Hurst, "The Fort Sage Drift Fence, Washoe County, Nevada," Anthropological papers of the AMNH, Vol. 58, Pt. 2, 1983.</ref> Miller Spring is 39 miles from Reno. The Reno 1957 1:250,000 map shows "Ruins" near Miller Spring.<ref>Reno (1957, Rp. 1980), Map, 1:250,000</ref>

A foot note in Pendleton states that the location of Fort Sage is uncertain and that Jocelyn<ref>Stephen Perry Jocelyn, "From Mostly Alkali", Caxton Printers, 1953.</ref> and Ruhlen<ref name="Ruhlen"/> locate Fort Sage in Washoe County. However, Pendleton states that W. Dalton La Rue (owner of the Winnemucca Ranch) thought it was in California and that the rock foundations at Miller Spring were built by a Mexican landowner in the 1880s.<ref name="Pendleton83"/> Note that a "Fort Johns" was located near Susanville.<ref>The Sagebrush Soldiers," Nevada Historical Society Quarterly, map on p. 65, Vol. 5, No.3-4, 1963.</ref>

A website states that Fort Sage was a rest stop on the Reno-Fort Bidwell Stage and that it was called Camp Sage by the military. The site states that in 1872, a surveyor named Alexis Von Schmidt wrote in his journal that Sage Fort Creek was named after settlers who build a fort and were eventually killed. A second version was told to Phillip Hall by Charles Clark which stated that a crude stone fort was created by soldiers and that no one was killed<ref>Historic Towns of Lassen County</ref>


See Also

Camp McGarry

References

<references/>