Ernest M Johnson Elementary School

From Black Rock Desert Nevada wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

The original school in Empire was named for Ernest M. Johnson, a school board trustee from 1958 until his death in 1970. Johnson was killed in an automobile accident while returning from a meeting of the Trustees.

Ernest M. Johnson was born on Apri 10, 1913 in Dewey County, OK. He was head of the safety division of the Empire in late 1960's. His wife Dencie worked for the school district for many years. [1]


The school at Gerlach was established in 1931, burned down in 1955 and rebuilt in 1955.

In 2001, an addition was made to the Gerlach High School building in and the Ernest M. Johnson school was moved from Empire to Gerlach.

References

  1. Nevada, The Silver State," vol. 2, p. 825, Western States Historical Publishers, 1970.