Camp Smoke Creek
Company D of the Nevada Volunteer Cavalry was stationed at Camp Smoke Creek in 1863 to protect the Applegate Cutoff. Camp Smoke Creek was manned by California Volunteers until October 22, 1863, when Lt. Firman and fifty men were ordered to replace them. On October 22, Lt. Firman and fifty men were sent to relieve the California Volunteers at Camp Smoke Creek 
Carlson states that Camp Smoke Creek was established on December 5, 1862 and was located near a stage station, 5 miles east of the California line. Perhaps the stage station was Smoke Creek Station.
- The Sagebrush Solidiers," Ch. V, Early Activities of the Nevada Volunteers, Nevada Historical Society Quarterly, pp. 32-36, Vol. 5, No.3-4, 1963. See also description of the arrest of a Confederate Sympathizer.
- * Colonel George Ruhlen, "Early Nevada Forts," p. 55, Nevada Historical Society Quarterly, Volume VII, Number 3-4, 1964. Camp Smoke Creek (1862-1866)
- Helen S. Carlson, "Nevada Place Names: A Geographical Dictionary," p. 27, 1973