Note that there is also Pyramid (Historical), which is a former town located south of Sutcliffe, just outside of the reservation. This location is known as Pyramid City, which consisted of Upper Pyramid (aka Jonesville) and Lower Pyramid. Pyramid (historical) appears on the 1893 Reno Map, between Junction House and Pyramid Lake
Pyramid (GNIS 843007) appears on the 1964 Pyramid SW 1:24,000 topo.
In 1864, Charles Symonds started the mouth of Big Canyon that later became Pyramid. The ranch was known as a "breakfast" station, because the evening stage coach would leave Reno and arrive at Pyramid in the morning, where the team of horses would be changed and the passengers would get breakfast.
A 1892 U.S. Congressional Record states: "Eleven miles north of Sutcliffe's fishing post is another ranch of about 104 acres occupied and claimed by Charles H. Symonds. He has occupied the place since 1878 and he says that it yields an income of $700. He values it at $5,000 which the commissioners say is in their judgment $2,000 in excess of its real value. As to this claim the commissioners say that the Indians also charge its occupant with having ejected members of the band who had settled there in order to enable him to establish his ranch. They also say that they think Mr. Caligan's statements with respect to his claim should be taken with considerable allowance and that certain of Mr. Symonds's statements as to the establishment of the ranch he claims have not been corroborated although diligent and careful inquiry was made."
"Allow us in this connection to invite your attention especially to statements of Indians in council on the 12th of October wherein they assert that Whitehead the original squatter on the present ranch on Pyramid Lake and under whom Caligan gets his claim actually ejected two or more Indians therefrom who had occupied the same for three years to enable him first to get possession of ranch. They also make similar charge against Symonds the Symonds ranch to whom reference is made hereafter. Thus equities in these two cases seem to be entirely with the Indians."
"Further down the lake north 11 miles from The Willows is a ranch. This place is known and marked on the map as Symonds and is claimed and occupied by Charles H Symonds. He claims a survey covering 104.5 acres dated September 11, 1878 which a lake from of about 12.75 chains and a narrow strip on both sides the canyon to the west going up this canon far enough to include springs that supply the place with water for domestic stock and irrigation purposes. Mr. Symonds located here about 1867 a stock and erected a small house at an expense of about $250 from year year he has added to his improvements. He has resided on the since 1880. Of the tract surveyed only about 50 acres are inclosed improved. The buildings consist of a small cheap house and a comfortable barn or stable. The buildings are worth about $700 and other improvements about $2,000. While the place is small in acreage it is very desirable. It has it a sufficient supply of good water and a fine small orchard and improved land is very productive. Mr. Symonds says his hay alfalfa brings him an income of $700 per year and he values the place $5,000 but his estimate of value is in our judgment $2,000 in of real value. Mr. Symonds says that at about the time he here in 1866 or 1867 and before making his improvements he saw Indian agent at Carson and made inquiry of him as to whether was on the reservation and was told by the agent that the north line the reservation was at the point marked on the map Mullens Spring then known as Mullens Meadows about 15 miles to the south that this agent informed him that any unoccupied lands on the lying to the north of the designated point were open to settlement that he acted upon this information in making his first outlay of expense. The Commission however after diligent and careful inquiry has been unable to find any other person who has known or the Mullens Meadows as the northern boundary of the reservation."
In 1954, the town of Pyramid was described as consisting of one ranch and a post office.
- "County Base Map Series, Nevada Department of Transportation, historic (1930's). WA1/1937"
- Nevada Railroads SL-171 Passenger Stations and Stops
- | Reno (1893, Rp. 1945) Map
- Sessions S. Wheeler, "The Desert Lake: The Story of Nevada's Pyramid Lake," p. 78.
- "A letter from the Secretary of the Interior submitting an agreement entered into between the Indians of the Pyramid Lake Reservation and the Commission appointed under the provisions of the act of March 3 1891," United States Congressional serial set, Issue 2953, January 11, 1892. p. 13.
- Basil Woon, "Harry Richman Plans to Climax his Career with a new Broadway Show Sometime Soon - Entertainer Plans Production from his Nevada Ranch," July 18, 1954, Nevada State Journal, p. 7, 9.
- Wikipedia, Pyramid, Nevada
- GNIS Pyramid - located on the shore of Pyramid Lake, about 60 miles north of Virginia City and 43 miles northeast of Reno
- GNIS Pyramid (historical) - located south of Sutcliffe, about 25 miles northeast of Reno.
- Joyce M. Cox, "Washoe County," p. 62. Image of the Bishop's Monarch Mine, Nevada Historical Society WA00184.