Groups and Permits


Special Recreation Permits

Black Rock-High Rock Country is a popular venue for a variety of organized recreation activities. The Bureau of Land Management uses Special Recreation Permits (SRP) to authorize and manage various uses and activities on public lands. Permitting allows BLM to monitor potential impacts to natural or cultural resources, and/or conflicts with other recreation or commercial users.

Special Recreation Permits are required when an activity falls into one of the following categories:

Commercial Uses – this is defined as recreational use of public lands and related waters for business or financial gain. When any person, group, or organization makes or attempts to make a profit, receive money, amortize equipment, or obtain goods or services, as compensation from participants in recreational activities occurring on public lands, the use is considered commercial.

Examples in the NCA: The annual Burning Man festival, several hunting outfitters and guides, jeep tours (4-wheel drive), equestrian tours and wagon train rides, cattle drives, and filming or photography for profit associated with a recreational or commercial activity.

Competitive Uses – this means any organized, sanctioned, or structured use, event, or activity on public land in which two or more contestants compete and either (1) participants register, enter, or complete an application for the event, or (2) a predetermined course or area is designated.

Examples in the NCA: Unique activities such as rocket launching and land sailing. The world land speed record and the amateur altitude record were authorized under a competitive SRP.

Organized Group Activities and Event Uses – this type of permit is for non-commercial and non-competitive group activities and recreation events. Special Recreation Permits are required for any organized group that have the potential to create impacts on public land.

Examples: A large scout camp out, a fraternity activity, a large family reunion, or a dual sport event. Examples: OHV races, horse endurance rides, mountain bike races, rodeos.

Vending – this type of permit can be temporary, short-term, non-exclusive, or a revocable authorization to sell goods or services on public lands in conjunction with a recreation activity.