This page consists of brief descriptions of mining efforts in the area
Oil Wells in the Black Rock Desert Region
See Oil Wells.
Black Rock Oil, Gas, Refining and Developing Company
Stock was sold for $0.10/share in 1921. The Nevada Historical Society has a stock certificate.
Reuters Stock Descriptions
Allied Nevada Gold Corp. (Allied Nevada)
Incorporated on September 14, 2006, ... owns the Hycroft mine, ...
The Hycroft mine and related facilities are located 54 miles west of Winnemucca, Nevada. The mine is under care and maintenance. The project encompasses 12,230 acres, including both patented and unpatented claims. From inception in 1987 until suspension of mining operations in December 1998, the Hycroft mine has produced over one million ounces of gold. In January 2006, Vista Gold had announced results of a feasibility study for the possible restart of operations at the Hycroft mine. The Brimstone deposit contains an estimated 52.7 million tons of gold mineralized material at a grade of 0.019 ounces of gold per ton. The Hycroft mine is located on the western flank of the Kamma Mountains. The deposit is hosted in a volcanic eruptive breccia and conglomerates associated with the Tertiary Kamma Mountain volcanics. ...
"The Wildcat project is located about 35 miles northwest of Lovelock and 26 miles south of the Hycroft mine in Pershing County, Nevada. The project consists of 74 unpatented claims and four patented claims, comprising 1389.6 acres. The Wildcat project lies in the Seven Troughs Range, which is underlined by Triassic and Jurassic sedimentary rocks and has been intruded by Cretaceous granodiorite. ..."
"The Mountain View property is located in northwest Nevada near the Blackrock Desert. The property is approximately 15 miles northwest of Gerlach, Nevada in Washoe County. The property consists of 127 claims with a total area of approximately 2,360 acres. ..."
Tingley 1998 lists the following mining districts:
- Black Rock Mining District
- Blue Wing Mining District
- Cottonwood Mining District - In the Fox Range
- Deephole Mining District
- Donnelly Mining District
- Dyke Mining District
- Farrell Mining District
- Hooker Mining District - In the Selenite Range
- Jackson Mountains Mining District
- Leadville Mining District
- Leonard Creek Mining District
- Nightingale Mining District
- Red Butte Mining District - North of Sulphur
- Rosebud Mining District - South of Sulphur
- San Emidio Mining District
- Staggs Mining District
- Sulphur Mining District
- Varyville Mining District
- Empire Tramway (Nevada Historical Society Quarterly, Summer 1973)
- Hardin City
- Virgin Valley
- H.F. Bonham, Jr., L.J. Garside, R.B. Jones, K.G. Papke, J.Quade, and J.V. Tingle, OF1985-03: A mineral inventory of the Paradise-Denio -- and Sonoma-Gerlach Resource Areas, Winnemucca District, Nevada," 1985. (A good description of various mining districts)
- Robert C.Horton, "Card Index File of Nevada Mines,Mining Districts, Minerals, Mine Owners and Operators, and Related References (last entry in 1966)," Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology.
- NBMG Mining District File Collection with Index and Search Engine
- Dead links
- San Francisco Chronicle, "Rich Niter Deposit Near State Line," June 8, 1911, p. 3. Niter or Saltpeter was found 18 miles from Gerlach. The discovery was kept secret until a government geologist could examine the find.
- San Francisco Chronicle, "Drill For Potash on Nevada Desert," December 10, 1914, p 4. WW I cut off German supply of Potash, H.S. Gale, member of the Government Survey, was to supervise drilling with the assistance of Prof J.C. Jones from UNR. See Trego and File:TregoMap1913.png.
- Joseph V. Tingley, "Mining Districts of Nevada," 1998, 2nd Edition. (Dead link, see Archive.org). See [http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/dox/r47/plate.pdf map for details.