From Black Rock Desert Nevada wiki
Massacre Ranch is located south of Highway 8A in the Sheldon - Hart Mountain National Wildlife Refuge.
- Helen S. Carlson, "Nevada Place Names: A Geographical Dictionary," p. 164. Carlson cites "Nev. Guide, p. 216; OPN p. 68." Nev Guide is "Nevada: A Guide to the Silver State, Federal Writer's Project, W. P. A. Portland, 1940." OPN is "Origin of Place Names: Nevada. Federal Writers' Project, W. P. A Reno, 1941"
- "A Guide to the Silver State," Federal Writer's Project, W. P. A. Portland, 1940. Description of the event.
- "Origin of Place Names: Nevada," Federal Writers' Project, W. P. A Reno, 1941.
- OPN cites: Effie Mona Mac, "Nevada: History of the State from the Earliest Times through the Civil War," 1936.
- Devere Helfrich, "The Applegate Trail," Klamath Historical Society, p. 57, 1971. Includes undated photo of the rocks.
- Thomas N. Layton, "Massacre! What Massacre? An inquiry into the Massacre of 1850," p 241-251, Nevada Historical Society Quarterly, Winter 1977.
- Google Maps
- Massacre Ranch Outing 2007 (California-Nevada Chapter Oregon-California Trails Association)