Frederick W. Lander
In 1860, Frederick W. Lander traveled through the Black Rock area while building the Lander Road. The official name of the Lander Road was the Fort Kearney, South Pass and Honey Lake Road. He stayed at Rabbit Hole Spring and made peace with Winnemucca at either Deep Hole or Granite Creek.
Lander Spring is named after Lander.
- Frederick W. Lander (Wikipedia)
- E. D. Knight, "Letters from Lander's Expedition #1," Alta California, September 1, 1860. Col Lander's Wagon Road Expedition, In Camp, Rabbit Hole Springs, July 21, 1860. Includes description of a 666 foot long petrified tree.
- E. D. Knight, "Letter from Lander's Expedition #2," Alta California, September 1, 1860.
- Voltigeur, "Letter Fromm Lander's Expedition," August, 1860. Includes a description of improvements to Rabbit Hole Spring.
- Volitgeur, "Letter from Lander's Expedition," Alta California, September 10, 1860
- Gary L. Ecelbarger, "Frederick W. Lander: The Great Natural American Soldier." Description of the size of the tank.