Weather could impact Black Rock Rendezvous

(*Friends of Black Rock-High Rock editorial disclaimer. We will be camped out with Friends of Nevada Wilderness and Nevada Outdoor School at the top of Cassidy Mine for members of the public who wish to join us as part of Rendezvous or otherwise. All scheduled activities are subject to change due to weather. Please check weather and road conditions before you come out. Safety is paramount, and we will do our best to ensure people have a safe and enjoyable weekend.*)

For Immediate Release

Contact: Chris Rose, 775-861-6480,

Weather could impact Black Rock Rendezvous

Decision on cancellation will be made Friday afternoon

WINNEMUCCA, Nev. — With heavy rain and thunderstorms predicted for Friday and possibly Saturday, the BLM will not be setting up their camp for the event today. If severe weather is predicted to persist beyond Friday night/early Saturday morning, the event may be cancelled.  A final decision would be made late Friday afternoon. Information about whether the event is cancelled can be obtained by calling the BLM Black Rock Station at 775-557-2503 after 4 p.m. on May 25.

“Public planning on attending the Black Rock Rendezvous this year, need to keep a close watch on the weather for Friday and Saturday,” said Black Rock Field Manager Mark Hall. “Highway 447 leading to the Black Rock Desert High Rock Canyon Emigrant Trails NCA, where scheduled tours and service projects are scheduled this holiday weekend, flooded Wednesday night forcing a temporary road closure.”

Heavy rains and thunderstorms create driving hazards on roadways, and mud slicks that make vehicle access difficult, particularly when hauling a trailer.  Traffic on muddy backcountry roads can also cause ruts, erosion, and other damage.

If the event is not cancelled, certain planned activities may not occur depending on the ground conditions. Planned service events would be rescheduled with partner groups for later in the year.

“Our main concern is the safety of the public, employees and our partners,” Hall added. “If the event is cancelled that would not prevent people from going out and enjoying their public lands over the holiday weekend on their own. Just make sure you check the weather and local road conditions before heading out.”