Employment and Interns
Friends of Black Rock-High Rock Employment and Intern Opportunities
Friends of Black Rock-High Rock offers a great employment opportunities to work in an extremely unique environment.
• Every year we are working to make a difference in wildlife preservation, habitat restoration, trail repair and outdoor educational programs.
• Many of the opportunities are located in the Black Rock Desert Region and surrounding public lands, one of the most intriguing and unique settings in the west.
• Our staff recognizes their work makes a difference in the lives of many visitors as well as protecting this National Conservation Area for current and future generations to enjoy.
Opportunities in Gerlach and Reno
Friends of Black Rock-High Rock has an office located in Gerlach, Nevada. There may be employment opportunities to work remotely from Reno. Most new positions are seasonal.
Please view our current openings:
The Environmental Stewardship & Volunteer Coordinator AmeriCorps member will assist the Executive Director with stewardship projects and events throughout the Black Rock Desert High Rock Canyon Emigrant Trails National Conservation Area (NCA). This AmeriCorps member will assist in planning and executing stewardship projects and events including but not limited to; improving and maintaining backcountry trails, installing wilderness boundary markers, Earth Day events, Black Rock Rendezvous, National Trails Day, and 4th of July and Perseids Meteor Shower camp-out events.
This is a part-time, seasonal position. Work is concentrated on Friday-Sunday each week. There will be another 10 week seasonal position starting in June-August. The Environmental Stewardship & Volunteer Coordinator is expected to participate in scheduled weekend projects and events (The minimum project requirements are listed below, but other projects and events will be scheduled). This position is located in Gerlach and locations throughout the NCA, but the AmeriCorps member is not expected to reside in Gerlach. The AmeriCorps member may have another job that does not interfere with their weekend work requirements.
- Assist and lead in a variety of stewardship and volunteer projects in the Black Rock NCA
- Provide support for event planning and coordination
- Outreach and cultivation of volunteers and members in the FBRHR Visitor Center in Gerlach
- Educate the public at outreach and tabling events
- Compose articles for the website and e-newsletter speaking about the work of the organization to cultivate volunteers and membership
Minimum Project and Event Participation:
- Reno & Tahoe Earth Days (April 21-22) – Visitor education and outreach
- Black Rock Rendezvous (May 25-28) – Stewardship projects, tours of area, interpretive talks
- National Trails Day (June 1-3) – Trail maintenance, cabin and campsite maintenance
- 4th of July (July 6-8) – Tours of area, outdoor ethics outreach, dutch oven cook-off/potluck reception
- Perseids Meteor Shower (August 10-12) – Tours of area, BBQ dinner reception, meteor viewing
- 17 or older
- US citizen or equivalent
- High School Diploma/GED
- Basic Computer skills- Microsoft Office suite
- Flexibility regarding work schedule, weekends will be required
- Self motivated and flexibility in working in a multi-task environment
- Current Driver’s License required
- Ability to communicate and work with a diverse population
- Willingness to work in inclement weather
- Enjoy the outdoors- due to the remote nature of work sites, camping will be required at undeveloped recreation sites
- Strong organizational skills
- Backcountry camping/backpacking experience
- Prefer leadership experience in a backcountry setting
- First Aid Training, Wilderness First Aid, preferred
- 4×4 driving experience, preferred
- Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Nevada Outdoor School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation, marital status or age in its programs, activities or in its hiring and employment practices.
- This AmeriCorps program is made possible by a generous grant from Nevada Volunteers.
- AmeriCorps members are expected to wear AmeriCorps logo or apparel while serving.
- The members will participate in service days with Nevada Outdoor School’s AmeriCorps Program and other community-wide events throughout the service year. Additionally, the member will participate in monthly team meetings and trainings in Winnemucca or via conference call. Members may not miss more than 2 team meetings per term.
- This description lists the minimum service requirements.
*Note: The AmeriCorps member responsibilities require a flexible schedule to be determined weekly, monthly with their supervisor
How to apply for positions with Friends.
For inquiries, please contact us at email@example.com