Thanks to the support of people like you who share our commitment to northwestern Nevada’s extraordinary landscapes, Friends of Black Rock-High Rock has become a leader in stewardship, education and conservation of the Black Rock Desert-High Rock Canyon Emigrant Trail National Conservation Area.
What We Do
Founded in 1999, we focus on educating people about the NCA and mobilizing them to accomplish “boots on the ground” conservation projects, and citizen science projects.
Wildlife and Habitat Conservation: We fund wildlife and habitat restoration projects and resource monitoring to preserve and protect the natural wonders of the Black Rock Desert-High Rock Canyon Emigrant Trail National Conservation Area and enrich the visitor experience.
Youth Programs: Through our youth programs, we transform the lives of youth of all ages and cultivate the next generation of stewards for this land.
Citizen Science: We engage local residents and visitors alike in spring, drought, wilderness, wildlife monitoring and noxious weed inventory and mapping.
Artist in Residence: Friends of Black Rock-High Rock, in collaboration with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Winnemucca District Office and the Great Basin Landscape Conservation Cooperative launched their first artist in residence program in 2014. The program continues to be a hit, year after year.
Visitor Center and Store: We provide year-round travel and weather information including playa conditions at our visitor center in Gerlach, Nevada. The visitor center has free maps and brochures to inform the public about the National Conservation Area and prepare them for the remote experience that awaits.
Learn more about who we are and what we do:
What You Can Do
- Invest in the future of Friends of Black Rock-High Rock today. Your gifts help fund trail and habitat restoration, youth programs, wildlife conservation and more.
- Join us as a member and you will also receive discounts on programs, accommodation and invites to special events.
- Attend an upcoming event to experience a deeper connection to the Black Rock Desert and High Rock Canyon.
- Volunteer – there are a variety of ways to make a difference, from helping visitors to restoring habitat.
- Shop for Friends gear online or in our Gerlach store. All proceeds go back into essential conservation projects.
- Enjoy the land! We work hard so this remarkable place can remain open to you for hiking, bird-watching and any other adventure you can dream up.